And I don't know where it started...
But, it needs to go.
I've read a million times that fifth "D" is for distance. And, normally, I'm not really a distance girl. If I'm not in his lap, I'd better be in the same room at least. Just physical presence won't cut it, either. I need the communication and comfort and kisses and deep conversations. I both need to tell him I love him and to be told he loves me, at the very least, on a daily basis.
But, every now and then...the Antsy feeling sneaks in. I started feeling irritable, too-work focused, too-house focused, and I allow furthering our relationship to fall to the way-side. Instead of tuning in when we're having conversations, I breathe. In, out, in, out, in, out...it becomes my own little mantra inside my head, keeping me level. Normally, Steven catches on. He'll ask me my thoughts, and God help if I say I'm breathing. Then, he knows that I've shut down. And, that earns a spanking every single time.
This time, though, he's a little behind the game. And, whereas a couple posts ago, talking to him about why I was getting spanked and having him listen and dismiss it was a really huge deal--well, I do actually have to not deserve the spanking for that to work. Otherwise, I get the "I won" sense, and then I want to listen to him even less!
Take last night for example. I was having a 'cleaning binge'. At first, it wasn't too bad, but I could easily feel myself going there. So, I casually suggested(yeah, right...more like demanded a million times) that he go on to bed, I'd be there in a few minutes.
He did NOT approve, and he did NOT go right off. Instead, I got the warning, "If you say that to me one more time, you're done. Understand me?" I agreed...and then retorted,
"Yeah, that's fine. I understand. See what happens when I try to look out for you. I know you're tired, and you'd feel much better if you'd just do that-thing-that-I-can't-say." Really??? He told me to turn off the water. I ignored his "request". Rather than push the issue, he just got up, gave me a kiss(on the cheek, because I didn't turn my head very willingly), told me I had twenty minutes to finish up, but I needed to be in bed by 1 am.
Out of sheer stubbornness, I waited until 1:02. He didn't notice. In fact, he thanked me for going in there at one. Which made me feel guilty, which made me even angrier. So, I went to the bathroom and spent an extra long time taking out my contacts.
When he asked why I was gone so long, I told him it was none of his business. Naturally, he disagreed. He continued asking, over and over. Finally, I just ignored him. He yanked himself up out of bed, flipped on the lights and sent the dogs from the room. (Blue doesn't take it well when I get spanked). Obligingly, I bent over on command.
But, while in that position, I began to defend myself. I told him he was failing to respect my privacy, that I "Don't ask you how it feels to take a dump, so don't ask me what *I* do in the bathroom, whether it's taking out my contacts or peeing." And other such arguments...
And, they worked! He let me up and laid back down. We didn't touch as we fell asleep. Cue even more frustration, even more distance.
When we woke up this morning, I was slightly belligerent when I did speak and quiet more often that not. He left.
I go to work in a few hours. I probably won't see him.
And, for right now...
That's just fine.
He'll be lucky if he doesn't come home to another dog....or a ferret.
Hi Grace! My name is Allie and I'm pretty new to the blog. I love it by the way, especially the kitten pictures:). Anyway, this post, it's so me. I do the very same thing and it's so hard to explain. I don't usually even know myself why I'm doing it. And my poor fiancé, Steve, I know it must confuse him to no end. It's good to know I'm not alone in this! Looking forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteAllie--
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks for reading and commenting! As to what you said--if you ever figure out why you do it? Let me know lol! Because I'm totally lost on this one. And totally frustrated. So...if you catch on to reasoning, lol...
I'm ALL ears.
G
P.S. Yeah...I'm a little addicted to lolcats. Not gonna lie. :)
Sorry Grace...it's tough when the rebellion gets in there deep and we can't find our own way out. I know that early on when my husband tried to discipline and I kept fighting him, he wondered if he could get through to me. He was careful about really hurting me, so he also sometimes stopped, which in a sense made me feel like I'd 'won' and yet left me thoroughly frustrated. He has told me since that when I fight him like that, it hurts his confidence. It's hard to keep going b/c it is confusing for him to. So, I don't know what to tell you but if you can find that humble, quiet place...go to him, talk to him and if you are willing, ask him to make you work through the belligerence next time. This stuff is hard for them, in big part b/c they love us so much.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I'll be writing a post on this here in just a little bit, but as a quick answer: you're right. Steven is also very conscientious about just how much I can take; I will say, however, that when he does stop for that reason, it's cream and corner time, and sometimes lines. I don't think he's ever just completely backed off of something. Last night was a very difficult night for me, partially because he makes me talk through my belligerence, pride, hurt, all of it. Every time. And there was a lot to say last night. I really appreciate your comment, because I had to find that place last night..
ReplyDeleteSorry for all you are going through, sometimes rebellion just takes us and holds on! My husband isn't tolerant of rebellion, and he's not much of a believer in leniency- so it's confusing when it happens. I love it, but I start to feel very untouchable and things go downhill pretty fast..lol. He says I don't know how to stop while I'm ahead. Hmmm, well sometimes I do but not often enough.
ReplyDeleteI hope you guys have resolved this by now..I'm sure you have.