I barely do.
We found our dog, Diesel. The crazy thing about it?? All our suspicions...the theft, all of it...were true. We found this dog a little over an hour away, goofing off in the thief's house. All because of some little old lady.
So, yesterday, as we were pulling into our neighbor's driveway, I noticed a young man in their yard that I had never seen before. So, naturally, I handed him a flyer with Diesel's picture and our information on it. Turns out, he lived there with his sister and grandparents. Well, he showed the grandmother the picture.
Who, in turn, remembered that the granddaughter's boyfriend had asked to borrow a leash from them, for a dog that "a friend had gotten him". But, when she saw the picture, she recognized the dog! And, it was ours! So, after she got down with her chemotherapy, this feisty old woman called the boyfriend up and confronted him about it. He insisted that the friend gave it to him.
She called the friend, who denied it. Well, she went to bed, slept on it, and, having become convinced that it was our dog, gave me a call this morning.
"Hello?"
"Is this Grace?"
"Uh, yeah...may I ask who's calling?"
"This is your neighbor. I think my granddaughter's boyfriend has your dog." I swear, for a moment, I stopped breathing as I listened to her explain her reasoning. She offered to take us this afternoon up to Wears Valley to check it out. Unbeknownst to us, she waited till the granddaughter arrived home and took her phone, not allowing her to call and talk to the boyfriend.
Steven and I spent the whole hour long drive trying to not get our hopes up. We said we doubted it was him. We said there was no way....right up until we pulled into the driveway and saw our boy, bounding out towards us.
The boyfriend changed his story: "I found him on the side of the road, without a collar." But, Steven overheard him chewing the girlfriend out.
"Well, what did you want me to do, Cody?" she snapped. "Tell them they couldn't come see the dog?"
So, all that to say--we got our boy back! Grace of God, persistence, and a fiery little old woman...who's parting words to us...
"Whaddya reckon that is?"
"Well, looks like some kind of little fish pond..."
"Wonder how he'd take it if I stole that...I sure do hate me a thief! Don't ya'll give him a penny of that reward money, now! Not for stealing your dog!"
So, he's safe and sound, and Blue-dog is happy again. :)

Oh I'm so glad he's back safe and sound! I was praying! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you found you "boy" safe and sound! Sometimes it only takes one person to do the right thing and because she did you were reunited, the boyfriend was called out and didn't win in the end! Justice!
ReplyDeleteThe two dogs look very happy to be reunited as well!
I know!! I'm going to get that woman flowers and a gift certificate to some nice place to eat, I think. She totally deserves it.
ReplyDeleteAnd, yeah, the boys--and the cat, though she wasn't cool with staying cuddled for picture time--are thrilled to be back together. One big happy family. :)
I'm so happy for you. I don't know how someone could do that to a family. It's like stealing a family member. I would have had a hard time not speaking my mind to that thief!! God Bless you and yours (yours including the 2 legged and four legged family)- Belle L
ReplyDelete