Monday, December 2, 2013
"Ridiculous"
Feeling super discouraged and worn ragged today. I feel as though I've lost my temper in the strangest sort of way--a kind of cold detachment that's stolen over me, instead of the usual fiery red fierceness that takes over. Warning: This is long and rambling and doesn't make just a ton of sense. I just...ya know...needed to vent today.
I've reached a point in my marriage, and today, it feels like my life, where I simply just don't care. I go through the motions of the morning, the daily necessities: you know, feed the dogs, brush my teeth, go to class.
But, I was able to sit, dry eyed, across the living room from my husband and tell him I was ready for nothing other than a marriage of convenience. I told him I was tired of being the one always trying, always pushing, always willing, and if he felt strongly enough about our relationship, he was welcome to fix it, but I didn't care. I told him I didn't want to celebrate our half-anniversary anymore, that I was opening a new bank account, and we could go in half on the bills.
He told me I was being ridiculous.
Who knows? Maybe I am.
He told me I dug in a conscious effort to find reasons not to trust him.
No, I dig because every time I do, I find something. Some more serious than others, but all a big pile of lies. Always, always the lies.
A few weeks ago, it was texts to the same girl he text-cheated with on me in May of last year...and November...the one I found on his phone when he was sick last Fall? When asked about it,
"Oh, no, Grace...it's been ages since I've talked to her!"
Really, because I have phone records that say you lie.
Then, it was "Did you feed the dogs?"
"Absolutely!"
"Why are their bowls in the same place?"
"...."
And, then, last night, money.
Now. You may not know this about me. It doesn't have reason to come up often. I'm a HUGE anti-borrower. I hate borrowing. From anyone. Ever. Ever. I will go out of my way and live on pancakes six nights a week from a box half a year old before I'll borrow, even from my parents. If I can't go to work and get it, I must not need it that bad. Which, Steven knows.
Admittedly, we've been running a little close to the wire recently. So. What does he do? He borrows from his mom. Hundreds, really, over the span of several..weeks? Months? I'm not sure. (Just a side note here, his mom is broke. Always broke. Desperately so, much like my real dad. If we HAD to borrow, she was not my top choice.) When asked where he was getting the money from, he lied on two different occasions: "Mom owed me some money from before. It just happened to go in today." (I know, I know, I'd shake my head, too. I don't know why I ever believed that line of utter BS.) Then, again, "Oh, don't worry. I had it. There's always money somewhere, Grace...you just have to know which ass cheek to pull it out of." With a snort and laugh. And, ya know what's pathetic? I believed him, then, too--and I laughed with him. I am SUCH an idiot. I should distrust everything that comes out of his mouth strictly on principle.
I believe VERY strongly in my marriage vows. I made my promises, and come hell or high water, I'll stand by my end. But, this...this is miserable.
I told him today I was redoing the budget, to be one hundred percent sure that he never felt the need to borrow from "Mommy" again. After all, this sheds all new light on why he didn't ever really defend me when his dad accused us of all those things right before we were married--he was probably borrowing from them, then, too. Not that I think borrowing when you absolutely must is a jail worthy offense or anything--
But, certainly doing it without my knowledge, against what he knows are my wishes, and then lying about it...
Maybe that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I told him we had an awful, miserable, sorry, broken, ruined excuse for a relationship, much less a marriage.
"Grace. Sixty bucks doesn't make or break a marriage."
"No, but trust sure as Hell will!"
And, it will.
I wish he wanted to fix it. But, as for me, I can feel it already--I'm emotionally checked out. I mean, was the relationship that I grieve over so often...was it ever a real thing? A thing like I see you all have? A real, honest, painful, communication, struggling, joyous, strong relationship like you guys have? Or is it just another one of his many lies? Am I just an easy way to a house and clean underwear and dogs and a fake little family with fake little smiles on fake little faces?
I'm giving up a Christmas tree this year. My first year without one; I love them. Green and piney smelling, with beautiful, colored lights and balls that hang all around; thick and full all the way around...no skimpy backs for me! My Dad taught me how to pick out that perfect Christmas tree. But, if we don't have enough money for "just enough lunches to get me through til payday, Mom," then, I don't have enough for a tree.
I hate this. I hate watching my ideals crumple up all around me. What have I been living, myself? I have to wonder.
And, then, I think maybe crazy gets passed down. Dad's crazy. And I feel that way, all cold and detached, and then hot, angry violence like when I drank a half a bottle of Jack to forget that he was talking to that whore again and smashed the glass against the dresser and watched as it shattered into hundreds of beautiful, terrible sharp pieces on the hardwood floor--
"It's not their fault, Grace," his best friend told me. "It's always our person's fault. Our significant other, my fiance, your husband...they can say 'no'. They don't. It's our person's fault. Always."
But, I was here this time. I was present. I only work three nights a week--he brings me lunch each night. I'm slipping right now, but I've been better with house work. And, I've lost a little bit of weight, too...and Mom's bought me some nice clothes recently, because she says she dresses me better than I do..and I wear my make-up every day...even when I was so sick, I got up once and tried to put some on, so I didn't look so much like a corpse.
Maybe it was just sixty dollars.
But, it was another lie.
Maybe I'm being ridiculous.
Or, maybe, he's finally just driven me crazy. I asked him at one point to kill me, while I lay there, crying on the bed. So desperate to stop this madness. He said he wasn't going to do that, he loved me; took the guns out of the house and went to work.
I don't really want a marriage of convenience. I just want him to take me seriously. To not lie to me, not about the dogs, or texts, or girls, or money. You know, when we were just best friends? We never lied to each other. We were honest. Always. So proud of that, so proud of being so damn honest it hurt.
There's a song, it's very dramatic, but it's one of my favorites, by one of my favorite artists, and it's how I feel...except, I'm tired of trying. I'm sure, though, at some point, I'll get my second wind. Or tenth wind. Or whatever.
I mean, did you hear that? "Ever worry 'bout what he's doing? How it all turned to lies? Sometimes I think that it's better to never ask why."
"Ever worry that it might be ruined? And does it make you want to cry?"
Yes.
I really, really want us to fix this. I want us to try. But, if he won't, I'm not willing.
Which is probably wrong.
His friend told me marriage vows be damned, staying wasn't enough if we weren't working on it.
Do we have enough left to save to bother?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Grace
ReplyDeleteFirst off, being lied to is always tough. It's wrong for him to lie
for sure so you two need to talk about that.
You guys are so young. So much of what you write reminds me of SM and I when we first married. And the first 3 years of our marriage were hard.
I don't believe you want to give up or that you are willing to live in a marriage of
convenience. That will surely get old.
There is no way around this. You both need to sit down and talk, talk, talk... until you figure this out.
Go back and re-read your blog too. There is some sadness here and there but there is also some love. You mentioned how great he did for your birthday in one post and
how great he was taking care of you while you were sick in your last post.
It's a confusing time right now and you are hurting. Talk it out with him Sweetie.
Many prayers
sara
Thank you so much for your wonderful advice. I flipped through my blog and found myself reading so many posts that were so much happier than the one that I'd written yesterday. You're right--of course--the last thing I want is a marriage of convenience; I suppose, in it's way, that was a temper tantrum of sorts, throwing that up. And, the happy-s have reminded me of that, and what I'm working towards. Thank you so much!
DeleteI think the only person who can answer your last question is you. I do know that you are a beautiful person and you deserve to be happy. You deserve to have an honest marriage.
ReplyDeleteAnd while I totally agree with Sara, I"m going to take a different angle.
I also believe you want this to be a healthy marriage and you believe it can be. But it's going to take work from BOTH of you.
Ok - here's the sticky part. The part that is just totally my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I think he has an addiction problem. Addicted to lying? To sexting? I have a great friend who has a sexting problem. For him, it's the rush, the adrenalin, the flutters you feel when a relationship is new. Being married, we never will feel the feeling of a new relationship again, but it doesn't mean we can't still have flutters. We just have to go about it in a different way. My friend is getting professional help. His wife checks phone records and his phone often! And he's getting better. However, this will probably be a temptation that he will always fight. The important part is that he is fighting it!
Why is he lying to you? Is he afraid you're going to be angry with him? I know, you're 10 times more angry because he lied in the first place. But maybe try to find out why he's lying. Talk to his mom, maybe. Tell her to not lend him any more money. Talk with him, again, about your finances. About how important it is to live within your budget.
I know you are so hurt and you have reason. But is it hopeless? No. Is your marriage salvageable? Yes.
Talk with him. Talk every single day. Get counseling if you can. Hang in there. Hugs and prayers.
Sarah
I just read your comment Sarah. I completely agree with you.
DeleteThanks Maryanne. I love what you said and completely agree. :)
DeleteWell. I agree with both of you, for what it's worth, lol. I've heard many times that people hate in others what they see in themselves, and many times before, I've mentioned Steven has something of an issue with any addiction-causing thing. I wonder if you may not be right--if he's addicted to the "new flutters" and the thrill of lying and the risk of being caught. Do you think that this is a time to be more...in-his-business, for lack of a better term, or do you think this is a time to let him try and figure it out? (P.S., you're welcome to email, also. :) I love emails. :) I love comments. I love talking. I'm a woman.)
DeleteI am so sorry grace.
ReplyDeleteHere's the little bit that I know---people don't change. Basically we are who we are. The thing about that is we can have tools set in place that can make our bad habits stay locked up. Like you're terrible at losing your keys. So you hang a little hook next to the door so you don't lose them.
The thing with liars is that when they feel cornered they lie. When they want to make you laugh or have a deep emotion, they'll embellish or even simply make something up. And, not all liars know how to stop lying. It's their coping mechanism. However, I think if the Liar can be HONEST with himself then he can learn to tell the truth. The sad fact is, that unless the lying, the exaggerating, the blatant denial of the truth stops, then you'll never move past this. Nothing good can grow from untruths. Ever.
No, I don't think your marriage is over and I definitely think that you can work through much of this... But unless he's willing to change some of these behaviors, then it will never be a healthy marriage. He must be the one to figure out why he doesn't want to live in honesty. It could be as simple as not wanting to get into another fight. Something simple. It could also be deep-rooted, and if that's the case then he needs to seek counseling to learn some tools to cope.
You need to make sure he knows you love him and want the marriage to work, but that it can't be on a foundation of lies.
I wish I had better answers, and this is just my opinion. Ultimately you have to do what you feel comfortable with but obviously something has gotta change because this is not living.
Love and hugs,
M.
Maryanne---thanks for commenting!! I really can't tell all of you how much it means to me when you do, or how comforting I find it; I check back on my blog all the time to see your-all's advice and insights. It's super refreshing. So you think I should leave him to figure it out? Or is there even a place for me to try and help through that? He flatly refuses counseling right now; he says we can't afford it. I mentioned that he wouldn't want to go if we could, and he didn't answer. Which means, "Why, Grace. You're right."
DeleteSweetie I'm so sorry. This sounds like such a struggle. Is there someone you trust to talk to professional or otherwise? You could print this post to share. Big hugs.
ReplyDeleteNot so much professionally--he's pretty opposed. But, we have some good friends that are really great listening ears; ironically, his best friend is one of the best, most understanding people out there, and has been a real help to us both. Fortunately, I also have this blog, and it's been great. Hugs back at ya! Thanks!!
DeleteI am so sorry things are going hard for you. Hang in there? Find someone to talk to and it can be me............... my email is on my blog
ReplyDeleteMeredith
I would love to talk to you! But...I can't seem to work Blogger's new whole Google approach...please, feel free to email me! I swear, I'd respond, lol.
DeleteI am really sorry for your pain. Maybe he could gets some counseling. Certainly it would help if you could have individual and couples counseling. I think truth in a relationship or marriage is vital. It needs to be addressed now or it can snowball. If you ever have children the stress will increase. If his coping mechanism is to lie and make everything okay for you...well that could easily backfire.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to comment here. :) I told him after my little Jack Daniels moment that I wasn't willing to have kids, regardless of how badly I wanted them, until we had this trust thing sorted. I was a smidge disrespectful, but I feel strongly about it, considering some of the home situations he and I were raised in. I told him, "I'm not having kids with you until this is sorted out, Steven. I can't risk little Johnny coming to find Mommy drunk off her ass and completely unable to handle the fact that Daddy can't keep it in his pants. Figuratively speaking." So. That went well. *wince* I hate losing control of myself.
DeleteThere is a lot of loving support and good advice here. The situation you are in is truly difficult - I don't know that I can add anything, but just know that you'll be on my heart and I'm hoping that things will turn around for you. I know that it will take time though - but keep letting us know how you are doing.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Cali
Thanks. :) I'm hoping to keep up better, since this blog is such a great outlet for me, and such a great support system, with such good advice. We're still young yet, lol, and newly married to boot, and I find so many people have such good insights into things I'd never have considered otherwise. I appreciate your thoughts.
DeleteGrace,
ReplyDeleteWhile reading your blog, all I could say is, "WOW," because I have been there! I KNOW how you are feeling, I know what you are going through, and I hurt down deep for you. Know that I will be lifting you up in prayer.
Thank you so much, I need it!! I'm sorry to hear that you've hurt, also--though, on the plus side, it seems like you're on the brighter end of it. :) And, my favorite quote of all time, "You can only love as deep as sorrow's carved you." So, hopefully, things are stronger on the other side. :)
DeleteHi Grace, i am so sorry for everything you are going through. I don't know how old you are but you sound young compared to me. I am afraid I am a black and white person. My advice is not to give up but Please can you go stay with your parents or a friend and give yourself a break from him. I think you are right not to have children and I think deep down you know that if you are thinking that then maybe you know that this man is not who you will be with forever. I am so sorry that you are hurting at the moment. There is nothing worse than being lied to and cheated on, you are worth so much more, don't put up with it lovey, value yourself more than that
ReplyDeletelots of love Jan.xx I am sorry if I come across so harshly but my dad was like your husband and it destroyed my mum
Firstly, you didn't come off harshly--everybody has their own take on everything, and all of it is colored by their own life experiences. It's what makes other people's insights so great. :) Thank you for commenting. For frame of reference, I'm 23, as of October. I'm so sorry to hear about your parents; certainly, it's a sucky situation to be in. I will throw out there, though, that I fully intend on having kids with Steven. I do think that he's who I'm going to stay with forever--BUT. I'm not willing to do so until some of our issues are resolved. That's way too hard on the kids--I would know. We're really just trying to decide where to go from here.
Delete