This past week has been uber rough on my family. Thankfully, Steven's been great support. I stayed up late Wednesday night, expecting to work Thursday.
No sooner had my head touched the pillow Thursday morning than my Mom called. My Grams--the one with Alzheimer's--had been walking through the small community she lived in towards a Christmas Bingo Party and slipped on a patch of ice. Through some miracle, she had her phone on her, and she called my mother; then, she waited on Mom to come pick her up out of the street. Mom was at the hospital I work at nearly an hour before I was able to get there.
And, it was already official--Grams had broken her femur. As we were changing her and preparing her for admission, I noticed my mom holding her hand funny.
"Mom...what's up with the hand?" I asked, gesturing with my head. She shrugged, a little sheepishly.
"My dogs,"(a weinie dog and a yorkie) "Got into a little scuffle yesterday morning. I broke them up." When I insisted she remove the band-aid, it nearly took my breath. Her finger was ravaged, and the whole hand was rapidly swelling, sending angry red streaks out from the wound and up her hand.
Long story short--they were both admitted within four hours of one another. (To top it off, Security came and got me around 3 am...I had three flat tires on the ground.)

AND, yet....
It's Christmas time. :) Which, I'm obsessed with, truly. I love everything about it. This year, Steven and I are a little broke, and, really, I want to get away from the constant money, money, money that Christmas seems to be leaning towards...so, I've had a genius idea.
We're doing a Santa Photobooth. I've made loads and loads of props to choose from, and, patient Steven and I have gone all around our family and closest friends, snapping photos. Some with props, some without--most times, we follow up the photoshoot with a game night, which is always a blast.
And, despite most people's reluctance to participate, I doubt if I've ever been so excited about a Christmas. At the end, everyone will get a Christmas picture of themselves, and I'm going to make a Christmas 2013 Shutterfly book to have and look back on.
I love the idea of gifting "good times"; I'm looking forward to the laughs as everyone looks back over their pictures, and the pictures of sweet family. It's going to be great! And, it's cost us next to nothing!!
Today, we did Grams, even though she was in the hospital. My "cousin"--more like a sister--and I took my "nephew", C, (one year old) up and a big Happy Birthday Banner, since today was her b-day also. She posed cheerfully with tinsel and top hats and reindeer antlers and a little red nose. She kissed my sweet C under the mistletoe, with me looking on, one hand over my mouth and huge, wide eyes. It was great to see her light up as she chose her props. Can't wait for our friends' photoshoot tomorrow!!
What a lovely idea......
ReplyDeleteThanks!! I am SO super excited...and my Grams had a great time today, trying on all the different props Steven and I cut out and made. We did a Santa face, complete with eyebrows and beard!, made of cotton balls! It really is just too fun. :)
ReplyDeleteOh Grace...I am so sorry about your grams and mom coming on top of all you have been through...and then the tires! Why were they flat?
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed with your attitude and the gift you are giving everyone. Many times, we don't remember the gift we receive but this is a gift that will go on giving.
Sending lots of prayers and positive energy for you and yours!
Blessings...
Cat
Triple A tells me that sincere weather changes like we've been having here in Tennessee can cause the tires to go flat. I just got that lucky lol. Thanks!! I was SUPER duper excited. and, Steven, with his typical, laid back good nature has cheerfully helped me cut out props, hang backdrops in our living room, and forced his sixteen year old brother into bright red reindeer antlers. :)
DeleteGrace I am so glad you followed your instincts about your mom. Prayers for her and your Grams too. <3
ReplyDeleteYour Christmas photo booth sounds positively fun and creative. Wonderful that you are keeping up a cheerful spirit.
hugs and love
sara
Appreciate the prayers!! My mom was just discharged from the hospital the day before yesterday. So, pretty pleased about that.
DeleteI'm glad you like the idea! I'm quite psyched about it, myself!! Pinterest, I'm telling you...it was supposed to be for kids, but, as I tell Steven all the time, while we're cutting out snowflakes to hang around our house and making graham cracker Whovilles, and going to slide down the curvy slides at the park--he did marry a giant kid. :) He always assures me that he was well aware of that fact before-hand, and that it was entirely intentional. :)
What a wonderful gift to give and receive.
ReplyDeleteHappy Holidays.
Happy Holidays to you!! I'm glad you like it!! :) It's really been too much fun...I wrapped Grams in bright golden tinsel and had her hold up a paper top hat and mustache. She loved every second...of course, everyone at the hospital--(granted, at least they know me)--has decided, if I wasn't crazy before, I am now. :)
DeleteI am real sorry about your gram and mom, but perhaps a blessing in disguise so that you got care for your mom right away.
ReplyDeleteI love your picture idea. It really is all about the love, not the $$.
Thanks!! :) Definitely a blessing in disguise! The doc said Mom could have lost her finger, her hand, maybe partially up her arm if we hadn't caught it in time.
ReplyDelete