And, I decided to celebrate our half anniversary, despite how I was feeling about everything. After all--how many times have I said or thought that the best way to spite our pain and our struggles is to improve? I saw a kind of cheesy romance pic the other day, but I really was struck by it:
So, I decided--again--that that was going to be us. I reminded myself that, in order for a relationship to grow and improve, every day has to be a new decision to love someone, to build them up instead of tear them down, to look for the ways they are amazing, instead of picking out their faults.For our half anniversary, I made an ABC card deck, basically. Each letter had a card. On each front, there was either a memory or quote that I felt personified "us". On each back, there was an instruction or a question meant to spark deep, meaningful conversation. I found as I worked on this little project that it was easy to remember all the reasons that I loved him when I was looking for that, instead of the ways he drove me crazy. By the time I got off work Sunday morning, I was super stoked. I couldn't wait to get home--I ran straight through the house without turning on a single light and jumped up on the bed.
"Steven, wake up!! It's our Merry Half Anniversary!!" I gushed. He opened one eye.
"It is," he agreed. "Good morning--did you look on the kitchen counter?" I shook my head and thrust my carefully prepared cards towards him. He shook his head. "Go turn on the light and look on the counter." And, there were roses! Deeply red and placed sweetly next to a box of chocolates. :)
We ended up going to ASL 2 and 3's play instead of really celebrating that night, so we moved the rest of the celebration on to yesterday.
We had a big day date! We went and got our tree, tied it up onto his little BMW hatchback and brought it home. Steven good-naturedly allowed me to play Christmas music, wear red reindeer antlers, and place a Santa hat on him while we decorated our tree. :) For reference:
Our tree....
And, then, the rest of our date!! We created a Graham Cracker Who-Ville!! From How the Grinch Stole Christmas. It was a blast...please ignore any mess in the background...we hadn't cleaned up from making all the icing and such. :) Steven did it all from scratch!
Who-Ville
Despite what Steven says, this is a cave on a mountain. It is. That square thing underneath--it IS a mountain. I promise...
Their little Who-Ville tree.
My two houses..
Steven's two houses. :) His were probably more Who-y.
Anyway, just wanted to say, the date went great, and, as always, after encouragement and prayer and thought--things look better in the morning. :)
P.S. If you decide to give this project a shot--do what we did. Put cling wrap over the counter so it doesn't make such a big mess...seriously. Because this...this was a mess waiting to happen...
:)
Love your happy post!! Glad you have another beautiful memory!
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was really too much fun! :)
DeleteLovely tree, great memories.
ReplyDeleteSteven thought it was a smidge too big for our little house, but now that it's here, he loves it. :D
DeleteAwww Grace...what a sweet post. Love your tree and Whoville! Happy that you and Steven had a good time...hope that corner has been turned and you two are on a good path! Sending lots of positive energy. ;)
ReplyDeleteBlessings...
Cat
We need all the positive energy we can get!! Hoping that the corner is turned..we stayed up last night and he taught me how to cut out snowflakes so we could hang them up around our living room for tonight's Santa Photobooth. :) It was great!
DeleteGrace
ReplyDeleteI am so happy to read this. I really am. I am glad you took the
time to read back through your good posts too. <3
It is wonderful to hear the love in your "voice" once more.
What a good idea to make those cards.
I may copy your idea. It was lovely.
Loved your little Whoville too. What a darling idea. Maybe we
will make one ourselves. If we do I will share the pic for you.
love and hugs,
sara
Oh, please do!! You can't possibly understand how much fun it was until you do it! It was awesome!! The hardest part has been keeping our sweet furbabies from swiping it off the counter...I turned around for a minute, I swear, and the Whoville sign is missing. There's no mark in the powdered sugar snow, the place looks completely undisturbed...like it was never there lol.
DeleteWell that is just downright cute Grace. Glad you had such a good day together.
ReplyDelete