Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bad News Bear

"I'm just saying..." I huffed, irritated. We were on the way to Steven's parents' house, to show them what all had turned up at the home inspection. It wasn't good. As much as we both want this house, having a foundation problem? Bad news bear, that right there.


"Grace," he warned, "You're pushing. Quit it now, while you're ahead."

"Fine."

"Not quitting..."

"I am, too!"

"Then what's the matter with you?"

"Ugh, nothing!" And a few other, more smart-alecky responses. All of a sudden, before I was even sure what had happened, the car had whipped off the road and up a small sort of access/work driveway.

"Come over here," he demanded, eyes too bright in the darkness of the car.

"See, I'm just not feeling like that's a very good idea..."

"And why's that?"

"You're going to spank me, and I don't want that."

"You could have stopped it. The only person getting you spanked is you, Grace. I told you to quit with the attitude."

I argued a bit more, but, when he tries, Steven can resemble a wall: hard, unyielding, and dang near deaf to any pleas, demands, or what have yous. It wasn't all that hard, really. It wasn't all that long. It was just...shocking and unpleasant.

So, for the first time, I was spanked on the side of the road. Gives a whole new level of meaning to 'Don't make me pull this car over.' Go figure--he means it. He means he's done with attitude. And, he's put us on daily maintenance for a while. (He hasn't said as much, but I'll say it's until I'm done working quite as much as I have been.)

Ew.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Grace...hope everything works out with your house. Trust Steve...you two will get through all this.

    I'm sorry sweetie but I did have to laugh at the pictures and the "Don't make me pull this car over" line...too funny. ;)

    Sending lots of positive energy and prayers your way.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete