My restaurant is a training store. Every manager anywhere close to my area comes to train through us. Some are fantastic and very popular with the staff. Some, not as well liked. And, then there are those that are universally loathed by the other managers, the servers, the hosts, the bartenders--everybody.
Many months ago, we had one; his name was Ry. He was definitely one of the latter. In addition to treating his employees like something the cat drug in--after it swam through a muddy river and rolled it in dog poo--he refused to go to bat for them at all. If there was mistake at a table, he pinned it firmly on the server's head. There was no discounts given, no excuses, no apologies.
He was rude to the guests and appalling to his servers.
Last night, he was transferred in to our store as a legitimate manager. I know of three servers who are not returning, simply because he's our manager now. I had thought that perhaps now, since he wasn't in training--he'd get off his little power trip, and maybe he'd be something I could deal with.
Last night alone, we had three hot run-ins. I said some things that were definitely NOT good ideas to throw up at your boss.
He told me some incredibly rude, atrocious things also.
By the time that I left, I was smoking mad. Unfortunately, I carried that over into mine and Steven's trip to the grocery store. And, I carried all that disrespect home and dumped it right in his lap. I was angry--not so much at him, but more at my day in general--but there's no question that I took it out on him.
And, there's no question that he took his not-gonna-be-treated-that-way out on my backside. But, I fought him. Physically-I stood up, put my hand back, kicked up my feet. Verbally--I cussed him up one side and down the other, flatly told him no...
And mentally--I shut down.
For my trouble, I wound up with the worst kind of spanking. The kind that starts in the corner and ends OTK, not being allowed to say one word or so much as twitch like I'm going to protect my bottom or stop him from hitting right where he aims.
Afterwards, though, I can admit--I feel much quieter, in my heart and in my mind. I feel an easy sort of peace that, unfortunately, really only comes at the expense of my backside.
Hopefully, this will stay with me...long after I can sit comfortably again!
I hope things get better at work. Maybe you can make a list of the atrocious things he says to you and file a complaint with management.
ReplyDeleteI think you better vent before you get home for the sake of your backside.
I am sorry things got so bad at your work. Your manager sounds like a real piece of work!
ReplyDeleteI have attempted to take my moods out on Ryan too....I think that has ended as well for me as it did for you ;)
Here is hoping today is better :D
~Lucy
So sorry you have such a butthead for a manager Grace. Sunny has a good suggestion - start keeping a notebook with date/time of each nasty thing he says, who he says it to and the surrounding circumstances. Then management can see that it's just not a one-off bad day type situation. It's unfortunate, but really concentrate on the customer reactions - money motivates management.
ReplyDeleteIf this happens again, try explaining the situation to Steven before it gets out of hand. Your tush will appreciate the effort. ;) Hang in there.
Blessings,
Cat