Monday, December 10, 2012

Fool Me Once, Shame on You...Fool Me Twice..

Shame on me.

Trick me three times...I'm a fool.

And, I'm still here.

More the fool.

I keep holding onto this dream that I should have let go months and months ago. The first time he cheated, I should have said goodbye. The second time, I should have had him out that door.

Now...God, what else is there? It's too much to leave, it hurts too bad to stay. He was sick, so sick. A fever well over one hundred. His phone buzzed--he was expecting a work related text, and I didn't want to wake him unless it was important.

I checked it.

It wasn't work. But, when I clicked out of that text and all the recents came up--a girl's name. One I recognized from May. One that, when I'd asked him about her then, was assured didn't exist. I was stupid. I believed him. On a whim, I clicked into the thread. Texts upon texts, some as recent as two days ago. And not "hey how are ya" texts, either.

He says he's sorry.

I say I've heard it all before.

Some time ago, I was waiting on a table. They were discussing cheating and what the best thing to do when it occured was. The woman was all bluster. "Oh, buddy, I find out you cheated on me, I'm gone. Just like that. Gone, gone."

The man looked at her, dead in the eyes. Then, they slid over to mine. His stare was scary intense; my eyes dropped.

"She says that," he said quietly, sure as sunrise, "But I own her. Body. Heart. Mind. Soul. All of it. She's mine." When I glanced back up, her face had flushed, but she'd fallen silent. "And, think of this--everyone has a reason for all that they do. And, you think you want to leave? Imagine the next morning. And the one after that. When there's no one to hold you. No one to love you. When you're all alone. Was it worth not just sticking through it? No. If you stay, even once, he owns you. Sure as I own her. You belong to him. Don't forget it."

I stayed once. I love him. I hate him. I hate the insecurity of it. I hate that they have something that I don't. I can't keep his attention, and since I'm the one fool enough to stay, time after time, maybe that's what I deserve. I stayed twice.

I woke up this morning, spitting, cussing mad. I pushed him, I screamed, I cried. "We were doing so well! So much better! Why?"

There was quiet. He kept trying to touch me, to hold me...what kind of safe place is that? One that finds his comfort, his fun, someplace else. I finally caved, falling into the only place I know, that soft spot right between his arms. Fell into that familiar "dance" as Rogue calls it.

"Text me," I pleaded before I left for work. Too needy, too close to the floor. Too weak to stand on my own.

He did. To tell me he found the gun he wanted. That the pawn store puts it on lay away; that maybe the check after next we can get it. So confident I'll still be here.

Probably because I will be.

And, more than him, I hate myself for that.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, three times....

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to say this but he is going to continue breaking your heart and spirit over and over again. He does not deserve you and I can't believe you think you deserve to be treated this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found a place to stay for a few nights. Or days, rather. I work nights. But, I told him he needed to take this time to make some choices. I won't hear from him or vice versa until I come home Thursday morning. I can't keep doing this. I don't think I deserve it...I just don't know how to do any of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot keep allowing him back into your life. He made his choice and it obviously was to have his cake and eat it too. He continues to cheat while correcting your behaviour. You've got to be kidding. How dare he - he is someone you are better of without.
      I am sorry to be so blunt but you need to hear this. There are better guys out there. No wonder he doesn't want to get married he hasn't finished dating yet.

      Delete
  3. I know you want someone to say that staying and working through this is the right thing to do, it isn't. You cannot help him, he needs to seek help on his own, away from you. You will become his enabler if you keep accepting this from him, for yourself. You deserve better.
    You really do not even know how far the cheating has gone. You only found out three times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this Grace. My heart is breaking for you. It's hard to let go, even when you know you should. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Hugs,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Dang Grace - This brought up some bad things for me so I took some time before I commented. I ended an 18 year marriage with children involved due in part, I found out later, to cheating. I won't hijack you post other than to say that the more he cheated, the worse his behavior got at home so that I would react badly and he could justify his behavior. Yes, there were times of "I'm sorry for my bad behavior" and lots of talking but basically, he just said what I wanted to hear. Think of how badly you felt about wanting to be married and Steve saying he wasn't ready. You really beat yourself up about that. HOW DARE HE!!!

    First and foremost - YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE CHEATED ON! Three times? That indicates there it is more than just a one-time drinking, office party, got out hand, whatever excuse.
    Second - DD should be off the table - period! An HoH is someone you can respect and trust - how can you respect someone who is cheating and lying?
    Third - Move him out of your bedroom and sex is also off the table - period! As someone in the healthcare field, I'm sure you're aware of the diseases his irresponsible actions are exposing you to.
    Fourth - You need to start thinking logistics such as a. do you own or rent the place where you are living, b. if you rent, whose name is the lease in and when does the lease end c. if you can't afford the place you are currently living, start looking for an affordable place for you. d. any joint finances need to be equitably separated immediately.

    I apologize if I have hurt your feelings but I really don't see him changing. I'm available by email if there is anything I can do to help you. Sending lots of warm hugs and prayers your way.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Grace, I too am so sorry to hear this. It hits awfully close to home for me too. I am the last woman to say that there isn't any hope but for hope to spring up, you can't sit and wait for change or hope it won't happen again. Sexual addition--whether online or in actual physical relationship requires serious help and then ongoing accountability. Long term, consistent accountability. The online kind can be extremely insidious b/c it is so easily hidden and compartmentalized. He either will or he will not get that help.

    You deserve to be loved, cherished and honored Grace. You really, really do! I'll be praying for you as you make more decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear this. You don't deserve that. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not commented before but I too wanted to say I am so sorry that you are going through this. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you but I wanted to say please don't stay because you think the pain of breaking up will be too hard.

    The man in the restaurant is right - that first morning will be awful, and the next, and being alone will be awful at times. It will suck. It is a process of grieving. You may cry every day for months. It may feel like you will never be happy again, never be happy without him. But it will pass. I know that will be of absolutely no help when you're going through it. But it will pass.The fear of all that is not a good enough reason to stay with someone who has cheated on you so many times, or anyone for that matter. You may surprise yourself at how strong you actually are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has to be your decision, Grace. I've had that pain and fear. We went to counseling, Christian counseling. He directed my husband and I differently. He sent my husband to another counselor in another state for a major weekend counseling session. I read the book "Love Must Be Tough".. It changed our dynamics. Clinging, Crying and Begging many times can push them further away. I had to learn to act stronger than I felt. You can be the only one to decide what to do.. Do not listen to my opinion or others. We do not know his heart, nor yours. What is best for you? Are you better off with him or without him? I know you feel too distress and weak to decide, and the pain is unbearable. I am so, so, sorry. If you can, go to counseling. If you can, whether you go or stay, read the book. It's not a new book. You should be able to get it in the library. It is not a book to convience you to stay or to leave. My prayers will be with you. It is so sad that this is so common. When you go through it, it feels so uncommon and lonely. God be with you, and may he give you the strength and peace that you need. -Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ((HUGS))
    I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this.
    I know it's not any comfort, but I have been there as well.

    Cheated on by my first Husband - I have NO idea HOW many times... but I finally left (and took our baby girl) and our life afterwards was hard at first, but then wonderful - really.

    Please do not let yourself be fooled anymore.

    If you have to, start off slow, behind the scenes.
    I took over 4 months to leave him, but during that time I collected evidence, looked into income based living for my daughter and I, and started my own bank account elsewhere.

    It was VERY painful and HARD, but you get through it and come out stronger in the end!

    He does it because he knows you will stay, or at least he THINKS you always will.

    I also agree with a previous commenter who says DD should be off the table at this point.
    There should be no respect here, for an HOH who is not being faithful.
    It gives him even more power.

    You will be in my thoughts and prayers and if you have any questions or need to talk to anyone, please feel free to email me from my blogger profile.


    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace,

    You are stronger than you think you are. You can do this, just hang on the the on-line hands that are being held out here (it appears that there are a number of women who have been through it and can give you practical advice) and hang on to the in-person hands. The man at the table gave you valuable insight into how a cheating man thinks, that knowledge gives you power to decide what is best for you.

    Be totally and completely selfish, Grace, do what is going to make you happiest, but whatever that is, don't let him continue to treat you like this, things must change. You caught him and forgave him the last time, that didn't stop him from cheating again, so you need to try something different this time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Grace, I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation, that he has put you in this situation. I've never found myself in this kind of position, so I please take my advice accordingly. I would have a really hard time staying, especially since it's an ongoing behavior. I would have a hard enough time with a one time thing, but clearly that's not what this is. My husband travels a lot and I told him early on in our marriage that if he ever cheated that I was gone. After being married for 19 years and having two kids together that would be much harder to do now than it would have been when it was just the two of us, but if that's what I felt I needed to do, I would find a way. I hope and pray that you find the strength to do whatever it is you need to do for yourself. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're hurting and no one wants to hurt, I know! Don't give yourself a hard time about being weak, Grace.

    The day will come that you realize...many things...and when you walk out that last time, it will be for yourself.

    And it will be very empowering.

    I pray for you that day comes soon. :)

    ReplyDelete