Friday, November 2, 2012

"Til My Arm Gets Tired!"

I don't know about you guys--but, I loathe the morning. I simply detest it. And, since due to some allergy problems, I can't have coffee or caffeine...

Mornings=Ew.

Period.

Especially when you fail to get out of bed when the first(two) alarm(s) go off.

Definitely when you're jarred to consciousness by a quick flurry of painful swats, pushing you out of bed and out the door.

And, then, you know what makes mornings even worse?....

When you're on your way home from an errand at about 9 am. You've only recently come to the sad realization that there will be no slipping back in bed for a minute or two before work....

I was on the phone with Steven, carefully cataloging my list of things to get accomplished today, when my car, Tennessee, hiccuped. There was a momentary lull, during which I closed my eyes briefly and prayed she wouldn't stall.

She didn't. So, assuming that, like always, I have a few deaths left in her before she completely quit on me and made it clear she REALLY wasn't going any place else without more gas--I passed a gas station on my right.

I cruised right on past the point of no return, and into an intersection, where all my prayers on the subject became moot.

She died.

Not, the first death of four, kind of death either.

The I'm-not-moving-again-till-I-get-a-little-sip-of-gasoline kind of dead.Horns blasted, I tried to hang up the phone but didn't get it completely hung up.  Lights flashed. Some instinct urged me to hit my emergency flashers.

And, there I sat, dead middle of the intersection. Slowly, I picked the phone back up out of my lap.

"Eh, hem. Steven?"

"Yeah?"

"My car died. In this intersection...what should I do?"

A quick muffled growl and terse instructions.

And, waiting.

A threat that I would be spanked till his arm got tired.

More waiting.

Finally, a nice gentlemen and his wife pulled over and helped me push my car back out of the road. They also, bless their sweet hearts, took my gas jug(I carry one just in case) and filled it up.

I made it home.

And, while I didn't get spanked till his arm was tired....

It was more than enough!

Boo Mornings.

6 comments:

  1. You do like to live close to the edge don't you. Glad he didn't do as promised especially if you felt it was enough. Enough to not allow it to happen again though is the question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhm...it was decent incentive. Plus, sitting in the middle of the intersection, horrified, added to the "Let's not do this again" vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Is your gas gauge broken or something? I certainly wouldn't want to run out of gas in the middle of an intersection and I can only imagine what Michael's reaction would be. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Daddy would be amused either, lol. I think that would likely fall ynder my 'no danger' rule - sigh. Though I did stall in the middle of the road once, when I was like 19, and my engine blew up - and these lovely gentleman in the service station on the corner were gathered in the door laughing as my car bucked and smoked and I was about in a panic - hmmmph.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Grace - don't remember if it was you or someone else who wrote a post about their gas rule but I had shared a rule my dad had when I was growing up. If I am repeating something I previously told you, I apologize.

    Dad required there be 1/2 tank of gas when any of our cars were brought home. He used this phrase "the car runs just as well on the top half of the tank". Got grounded from the car for 2 weeks when I forgot which is a tragedy for a 16 year old! LOL So, now it's just a habit that when the tank reaches just above 1/2, I start plannng a fill up. I carry a pad of post-it notes in my car so if I can't fill up immediately, I put a post-it on the glass over the gauges when I park. When I get back in the car, I know I immediately need to plan a gas stop. Hope this helps.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are fortunate to have got out of the intersection safely. Some intersections are crazy, and it can be very dangerous to stall in those intersections. It sounds like your husband cherishes you enough to want to keep you safe :) The spanking may have hurt, but it certainly communicates that he cares a lot about you.

    I like Cat's little piece of advice - that's a great way to live (well clear of the boundary).

    ReplyDelete