Friday, October 12, 2012

The Newest Family Member

Maybe some of you remember---

I have a thing for animals.

I like to bring them home and love them and cuddle them and make them stockings(yes, I start in October), and call them my very own. :)

The trouble? Well, firstly, Steven is allergic. And secondly, he seems to think that one 10 month old boxer and one Great Dane is enough....

SURELY not.

So, the other day, I was craigslisting.


And I stumbled upon this ad for the cutest little kittens ever! And, for free!! Steven was already in class, and since I was at school, I was only a measely little 15 minutes away...

So,  I told some friends I'd be right back, and I called the ones who put up the ad. Just to be on the safe side, since Steven's so picky, I asked and made sure they weren't the Craigslist Killer. Not that they'd tell me, but at least I could say I'd ASKED.

When I arrived...there was not one kitten left...but TWO! The people giving them away pointed out how sad it would be if they were separated. So, I took both home.

He made me give one away. The second hates our dogs but is seeming to do better with them now.

My backside wishes I'd left well enough alone.

And, I'm banned from Craigslist forever.


And, yet....

I got a kitten! :) 

7 comments:

  1. You sound like m. Only instead of collecting animals, I collect stuff, mainly furniture.

    A while back some neighbors moved out. I guess they were downsizing because every day I'd look over and there was another piece of furniture sitting on the curb waiting for trash pickup. I ended up getting a night stand, a desk and a small stand alone cabinet before Steve told me I was not allowed to go over there any more.

    About a week later, the neighbor on the other corner moved and I noticed they had put out this vintage looking cupboard on the curb. Our truck was tore up so I asked the neighbor if he would go get it for me with his truck. Steve overheard me, said no and told the neighbor not to go pick anything else up for me unless he approved it first.

    So now I can only get stuff if he's not with me and it fits in my car. Of course I did once cram a full size rocking chair in my car...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband rarely ever put his foot down on anything, but about the 4th time I told him to come to a used furniture store to pick stuff up, he told me "DO NOT BUY ANY MORE FURNITURE, WE DO NOT HAVE ROOM FOR ANY MORE!".. This fortunately was before we signed a DD agreement. I just had to stop going to the store.. some things are just too much of a bargin.. I called him 2 other times to pick something up for my daughter, that I thought she needed. That was before he told me no more. About a year and a half ago, we had 3 adult male cats indoors, one female mother ferrel cat outdoors, and her 5 weaned kittens in a half bath, trying to get them so they could be adopted. (all but one was adopted). Until 2 of the males died, I could have been called the "crazy cat lady". I totally understand trying to rescue, totally good furniture and little homeless kitties. God Bless You All, Belle L. P.S. We had the mommy cat fixed, so she stays happily outside and seeing her little one inside.

      Delete
  2. A sweet little kitten was worth a spanking. I am always of the belief is always better to ask forgiveness than permission and it usually works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with sunnygirl - the kitten was definitely worth it. And I'm also one of those usually ask for forgiveness rather than permission. :)

    The kitten and dogs will eventually work it out and then you'll probably find them napping together. Enjoy your weekend and your new "child".

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree too - the kitten was worth it! All of the animals I've ever had have been rescued abandoned or abused animals, and I would totally have a house full of them if I could get away with it! For now, 2 large energetic siberian huskies and a snobby cat are what we have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh, count me into the 'we of the soft heart club. We feed the strays here and one 'knocked on the door' one day. They'd been fed & watered and we didn't know what she needed. (we'd been feeding her since someone dropped her down a sewer with her mom & siblings last summer. She didn't like to come in and visit, but that day she did, and about an hour later had two adorable kittens under our dining room table O_o. Thankfully, Daddy just smiled indulgently, gave her a head scritch, and helped me find homes for the babies. They just moved out on Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww! I'm a big animal lover as well and kittens are my weakness!!! "H" would be SO angry with me if I got another one >'_'<
    But I understand. I have to stay away from craigs list myself, or the animal shelter.
    I have two strays out back right now. Poor things!

    ReplyDelete