Friday, June 1, 2012

NOT One of My Brighter Moments

Has anyone else ever had that MOMENT? You know the one. It's right when you look back on the day, and think, "Oh, crap...SO dead."

http://www.adamweitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/adam-weitz-oh-crap.jpg

Today was one of the moments.

Nope. Not a typo. The whole day was a string of those moments.

Firstly, we had some plans, just he and I. If anyone else has ever been on a family vacation, you know that moments like that are few and far between. In keeping with that tradition, we didn't make it out the door before his 15 year old little brother was back in the room and ready to tag along.

I should have accepted with grace. Instead, I pitched a little fit. I got a nearly-page long line to write, and a deadline to write it in. Instead, I texted my DD friend...who offered me the chance to call. I jumped on it. I waited until Steven stepped out onto the balcony, mentioned to his mom that I was taking a walk(in a city I've never been in before), and beat feet out the door.

Twenty minutes later, I'm still on the phone with her, and he's texting to ask where I'm at. I shot him a quick text telling him I was out for a walk, and then, in the best interests of listening to her, ignored all incoming texts and calls....until I got a string of them.

You. Are. In. The. Biggest.Trouble. Of. Your. Life. Answer. Me. Now. 

I quickly let her know I needed to call him, and I'd text her.

Moment number one: I realized I'd walked out on him, for the second time in as many days; this time, instead of hitting the beach, I'd gone out somewhere I was unfamiliar with. 

He was pissed.

And I was lost.

Ok. So, I finally walked to the restaurant that he and his little brother were eating at. We had a series of looks and quick signs that assured me I was, in fact, toast. And, then, a quick hug and kiss on the head.

"You may die, but I love you, baby."

So, off we went to play frisbee golf. I was grumpy because his brother had used my cherished disks--before I'd even gotten to play with them!--and they were all beat up. I griped.

I had my phone taken.

That was moment number two.

Number three arrived after he'd bought some Capciasin cream. His parents were taking the car...and I grabbed the box, but conveniently dropped the actual cream under the seat. It's gone.

He mentioned me finishing my lines, and I remembered...

I'd ripped up the page long diatribe and flushed it down the toilet to avoid having to write it.

This.

This, here, is moment number three.

The moment where he's waiting for me to finish so he can apply cream and I can finish my lines.

And, this is the oh-crap moment right before he finds out the cream is across town and the line he intends for me to write is in pieces in the sewer.

Awesome. 

7 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!! Praying for ya... Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowie..................Good luck is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gravy Grace! I assume that what is done is done. Hope you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I wish you well. God Bless, Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard stories of Capciasin cream, I don't know what would be worse... tossing it and waiting for that to be found out (and the punishment), or it being kept and being used! Ouch! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, guys--I survived; if only, just. Emi, I think my logic was that we were still at the beach, in a small condo, with his whole family. Without the cream, what could he do, right?

    For the record, he can do plenty. I strongly advise just taking what he dishes out. Especially when all that guilt about being a brat sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a brat. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Let's talk more soon.

    ReplyDelete