Monday, June 18, 2012

It's Official

I've read sooo many blogs who's authors having a no texting and driving rule. For us, it's never really been an issue. I do it, he knows I do it, he does it, though, admittedly, it's more of a rarity for him, and it's never really been a problem.

Until the other night--it was late, dark outside, and we live in the foothills, so all our roads are windy and twisted as a snake. We were on our way home--one of the few times we've driven separately. Normally, he drives and I don't worry about it. In this case, however, he was following me.

So, he saw how I swerved and took over the entire road when I texted. I've never really noticed--and I usually prefer to swerve away from the double yellows...but he definitely had a few things to say on the matter. Not the least of which that now, having seen how texting affects my driving, was that texting while behind the wheel was a definite no-no. Completely off-limits, dire punishment threatening situation...

I made it two days following this new rule:

This time, I managed to send my little Corolla straight off the road and into a nearby yard.

Needless to say, Steven was NOT happy.

I tried to defend it; after all, I was fine. The car was fine. The yard was barely even scuffed. Somehow, my defenses failed to work. Go figure. After all, there are rules and then there are Rules. Like, capital R, endangering your life and others' Rules.

This broke the latter.



This was an unpleasant, his leg holding my legs down(I'm a hopeless wriggler--I consent, but it's way hard for me to hold still on my own), arms stretched out in front of me, wooden spoon horror. It was a steady, constant lecture to underline what he was doing to my backside.

It didn't help that the new rule wasn't the only one I broke.

I smoked.

It's official.

I may never sit again.

And, ya know--he's due home soon...

And with him, comes Maintenance.  

Sigh.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck tonight.

    Texting while driving and smoking are both things that could have disasterous results, much worse than a spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that punishment is over, fsh. But it was an unpleasant one, to be sure. And, yes, if I didn't realize the potential hazards before, I certainly have been made aware of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl...what am I going to do with you? Answer...nothing S does just fine. ;)I don't even know what to say. Yes I do. Don't smoke and stay alive. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have yet to have a NO rule as far as smoking or texting (he does it, I've done it...) Long ago, both H and I quit smoking, but I had been secretly sneaking a smoke here and there... even now I want one so BAD! (but I am currently pregnant, so it's a big no for me and I actually want to keep on track) Anyways, I have been getting closer and closer to Him making a no texting rule... Especially after he's seen my driving at times.

    It's an awful habit and dangerous and if it becomes a rule, I probably won't sit for a few days!
    I agree with sunnygirl, the results are much worse then a spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't use my phone when driving. Mitch does on occasion though and it really annoys ME! The smoking thing......... less said the better lol

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thing no kids were playing in that yard, or a mom or grandma out gardening or...well, you get the idea. Why do you take your safety and the safety of others so lightly? I'm sorry, I don't want to sound judgmental or get up on my soapbox, but I just don't understand why people do such dangerous things. I guess it's tempting to think that nothing would ever happen, but what if it did? What if you severely injured or killed someone due to your recklessness? What if you were hurt or killed? :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that I have teenagers learning to drive, the texting law has become very much a topic at our house. We are adamently opposed to them using their phone in anyway while driving. If I even see their phones within arms reach while they are behind the wheel, they lose their phone. It is too dangerous to even take a chance. Okay, lecture over. No, change my mind. The smoking thing. What are you thinking? You are this wonderful, beautiful person and you are doing things that can potentially really kill you. STAY SAFE!!!! It would be so sad to see anything bad happen to you. A sore bottom is nothing compared to the other consequences. You are too good to lose. Okay, now I am done with my lecture.

    ReplyDelete