Thursday, May 24, 2012

Baby Steps Are Still Steps

 A long, long time ago, when I was a little, very little girl, my mom married my first step-dad. We'll call him J, for now, I think.

I loved him to the ends of the world and back, trashing my relationship with my real dad, who didn't quite fit into the 'cool' category, in the process. I had a step-sister, but he didn't really have much to do with her. He hung my moon, and, come to think of it, surely he'd named all the stars, too.



He could be soooo fun, riding go-carts with his hat turned backwards, yelling at the "competition" that they were running with the big dogs now, and then grinning at me in the passenger's seat. I was only 2 when he came into my life. He taught me karate, and how to fish(though it's been so long I hardly remember any of it.) He played cards with me.

But, over time, he changed. He lost some of the luster he had for both my mother and I. Gradually, I came to an understanding of the rules with him. You had to really be something to earn his praise. He wouldn't watch me run unless I could get my mile time down under seven minutes. If I didn't place, my competitions weren't worth coming to. He quit playing games with me. I learned to ask about his day, but never tell about my own. If he thought you were lying to him, go ahead and "confess", because, evidence aside, he was the right one.

And, yet...I loved him.

So, when my mother and I came home from a mother-daughter trip to find signed divorce papers on the bathroom sink and an empty house, I was heart-broken. I begged him to stay, and he told me he'd stayed for as long as he could, and it wasn't worth it to him anymore. I wasn't worth it.

My thirteen year old self was devastated. Three days after the divorce was final, he was remarried. A lot of baggage later, my mom completely cut ties for both of us. I wasn't allowed to see him. When I got the news, I became utterly inconsolable. Nothing would placate me. I threw things, I had screamed, I raked my nails over my face. I had to be held down. It was an ugly, dark time for my mother, but especially so for me.



Fast-forward. It's been a little over eight years. Mom's remarried to a man who treats her right. I still struggle with some of the things he said to me, and with the way he left. I've done my best to forget.

But...Mom texted me yesterday. She'd run into him at the bank. Apparently, J had had quite a lot to say. He was sorry, his biggest regret was me. He wanted to see me. I was at work when I got the text. My heart leapt in my throat, as quickly as my stomach dropped to my toes. I was scared, nervous, excited, and ready to cry all at once. My first instinct was to call him, to go for it.

BUT. Instead, I picked up the phone and I called Steven. I told him--the man who knows me, inside and out, who knows so much about J and all I went through--about the text from my mother, and about J's decision to try and make amends. And, then, I took a bitty baby step in our DD relationship.

I told him that I knew he cared for me, and that whether or not I went to meet J was in his hands. I knew it could be potentially an emotionally dangerous situation for me. I forgave J a long, long time ago...but there's so much water under that bridge...I'm scared to even try and swim it. And, certainly, I can't swim it alone.

Steven's not just thrilled with the situation, but he understands how much it means to me to try this, even though I'm scared. He hurt me before, and I've still not recovered totally...I don't want to ever face that kind of hurt again. But...I don't know that I would forgive myself for not giving it a shot.

So, I said it was up to Steven(yay, for baby steps in submission!!), and he(maybe a bit reluctantly) said yes! So, I made the call today. J sounded excited to hear from me...

He's going to call me back next week to set up lunch or something...

And, I guess, we'll go from there.

One thing's for sure--I'll definitely be leaning on Steven to help me walk through this interesting little twist. :)

9 comments:

  1. oh girl I had no idea earlier. Okay an e-mail soon. I promise. Yay for baby steps! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sort of relate to this post. My mother was an alcoholic and drug addict when I was younger and after many years of promises being broken and birthday calls where she was drunk I decided at the age of 11 I didnt want to speak to her ever again.

    I was in 6th grade and on my birthday I told her to never call me again. I remember the day as if it was yesterday. All day I was waiting for her to call and when she finally did she was drunk... now almost 13 years later I will be meeting her again this summer.

    My 2 older sisters have had a relationship with her for about 8 years now and say she is doing great so I will be taking that step to put my heart back out there. I talked to my bf of three years about this and he felt it was a great idea. He thinks it will really help me heal and get over a lot of my emotional pain. I completly agree with him, but I am still so afraid of what could happen. hopefully i will meet her not expecting anything but I know deep down that will be hard. I dont know if I will be able to ever forget what she had done but hopefully I can forgive her. I dont think i could ever consider her as my mother but possibly as a friend? Let me know how it goes! I wish you luck and my thoughts will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, girl--

      I really, really hope things work out for you...maybe, if your sisters think it's a good idea, and, I mean, obviously they know her, it will be. As my mom says, this kind of situation can go one of two ways--it can hurt...OR it can be very healing. I'll cross my fingers for the latter. For both of us. :)

      Delete
  3. I was already weepy..and your post made me cry. I hurt for all children whose lives are pulled this way and that at the whim of a selfish adult. Also think it's HUGE to place your trust in your husband to guide this decision in your life. That's no baby step!

    I am anxious to hear an update. Wishing you peace and some closure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Grace! I'll be thinking of you at Steven as you walk carefully in this. I love that you took this to him first and didn't jump in head first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((hugs))) Grace, I'm so sorry to hear this. People can be so insensitive to what they can do to children. And I am so pleased that with that background that you have found the one that you trust enough to turn to fir guidance. What an incredible gift for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, wow! I know that I am probably going to be the wet blanket here, sorry. But for the sake of your relationship, please remember that Steven is not responsible for how things go with you and J. He has agreed to allow you to see him and he is definitely going to be there to support you. But like it wasn't your mother's fault when J left the first time, it isn't Steven's fault if something bad happens this time. And it really isn't your fault either. I really hope that J is true to his word and will be the man that he should be. You just keep being you and you do not need to impress him. You are a great you. And Steven and your mom have your back. I hope and pray that it all goes well. If I upset you by saying this, I am sorry. I just know fromo personal experience how easy it is to lash out at and blame the ones you love and trust the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blondie--

      You're not being a wet blanket, lol...it was a very, very valid point. My mother made a comment to me, recently, "You have a very skewed view here, Grace. J didn't divorce you...he divorced me." So, I know that blaming others, instead of J, is a problem for me, and I appreciate you bringing it up. No joke. :) I'll definitely keep an eye out. And, if you're reading a post someday that hints at it, just whack me upside the head,k? Because I know Steven didn't do anything. This is because of J, J trying to fix it, and if I get hurt, that's J, too. Not my man.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for all the comments, as always, guys! I appreciate it, and your concern, and being kept in your thoughts, for this. It's a big, scary baby step, and I'll need all the crossed fingers and good thoughts and prayers and such that I can get!

    ReplyDelete