Since the loss of my job, I've felt it was really important for me to contribute in other ways. Namely, if he's going to support us and the house we've come to love, then the least I could do was keep up with the house-work. Easy-peasy, right? After all, I've watched my mother do this for years. How bad could it be?
Yeah, right.
What I've learned is that I've learned nothing about keeping house in the 23 years I've been alive. The dishes and the laundry seem a constant uphill battle; why does anyone ever cook, when they've just washed all those pans? And, how did that splatter of macaroni and cheese get on the stove I just wiped? And paw-prints shouldn't be on sheets, and these clothes just came out of the dryer, how are they already covered in white and black and fawn and grey hair? And, the trash! It piles up in two or three days! (Usually Stephen has dealt with the trash, so that was kind of a shock.) I read a book once, and, in it, a woman bemoans that, according to her mother's rules, she's "failed, because the kitchen floor is dirty." I know exactly how she feels! Every day, when Stephen leaves for work, I make a list of things/projects I need to accomplish before he returns: Take Grammy to the library, sweep the floors, start a load of a laundry, dishes, Dad's physical therapy appointment, those library books are due back at the end of the week, and have the bills been organized and paid? Our calender is still on Janurary...and I've felt so overwhelmed. When my husband gets home at night, sometimes I just want to cry, because my list is still a mile long. We've not even hardly discussed a nursery, I can't even keep up with the rest of the house...how am I going to do this all once school is back in and I have a baby?? How do you ladies do it?? I know ya'll have tips, I've read your blogs! It looks like you all juggle everything so well, and I'm desperate to know how you manage it!
Tips, tricks, anything, please!
One task at a time and don't let it overwhelm you. Picking up along the way helps. I know there's an online program I've heard people talk about. You might want to google., it's something like Housework on the Fly or something like that.
ReplyDeleteHey Grace...take a deep breath...let it out. It is hard shifting from working full-time to staying home full-time so cut yourself a break. Make a list for the week and prioritize them...mark each one off as you complete it...then go to the next. When I was a stay at home mom, I also set specific days for tasks...Mondays for laundry, Tuesdays for cleaning bathroom, Wednesdays for dusting/vacuuming the whole house, etc.
ReplyDeleteI am sure some of your more efficient followers will have great advice.
You will be fine. Sending lots of positive energy.
Hugs and Blessings...
Cat
Chin up...nobody has it all together. As a stay at home homeschooling mom to a few...take it from me....nobody has it all together! You decide what your priorities are an door accomplish them. Put cleaning and chores on some kind of rotation, and adjust your expectations to be realistic. My h helps. A lot. I couldn't do it all without him. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHey Grace,
ReplyDeleteThere are awesome ideas on this website http://www.flylady.net
Like Cat says, I just do one area a day. Make a list of all the things that need to be done weekly and daily and then spread them out over the week.
Lists are definately my way of getting everything done on time.
Callie
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU all!! I'll definitely try setting up a schedule, lists, and that website!!
ReplyDeleteI had a very odd dream this morning that makes me think I need to slow down anyway lol. Suffice it to say, there were fifty some odd animals(including raccoons and lemurs) in my living room, with me trying to put them away. Unsuccessfully. So, I'm chilling tonight!