Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Where the Heck Do We Go From Here?

Today is one of those thoughts are hurricanes, battering away inside sort of days. A lot of guilt, a lot of stress. A lot of just need to see it out in writing to even KNOW what it is that I'm thinking. So, bear with me.

Steven and I were married in June. Not new news. BUT, there were some things that went down that I didn't post out. I'm not sure now if that's because we were so busy, or because they were so stressful and painful that I didn't WANT to see them out in the wide, wide world. But, of course now, they're coming back to bite me in the tail.

Just shy of two weeks before we were married, my mom took Steven and his mom out to get Steven his suit. Now, his family is a little tighter with money than my mother, so she asked Steven on the way to meet his mother if there was a price limit on the suit. Thinking it was going to be rented instead of purchased, Steven said no.

Fast-forward. It was a great suit. It was not for rent. It was ungodly expensive. My mom covered half of it, but the other half was put on his mom's crazy sister's credit card. That night, the aunt was told that everyone was taking advantage of her, so she cut up the credit card, tried to stop the payment--made a big to do about everything. Two days later, Steven's mom--we can call her D--had a stroke. A pretty severe one. We found out she was still going to be in an inpatient rehab for our wedding.

I was in the room with her or checking on her(I work nights at the same hospital) nearly all the time. I was there more often than her husband. I put in her the showers, I stayed for her occupational and physical therapies. Steven came most nights to cover while I was actively working. The aunt--she can be B--called several times. She called Steven and his little brother, harassing, asking where her money was. If D was in the hospital, who was going to pay her?

I came in from work one morning to find D crying by herself in the hospital bed. I was irate. I went home and...eh, we can call it discussed, I suppose, the situation with Steven. That is to say, I yelled and ranted and raved, and he informed me that I was absolutely to stay out of it. I wasn't to speak to B at all, I was to keep my nose squeaky clean.

After he went to work, I ignored him. I went back to the hospital, where D told me that she just wished someone would stand up for her. I figured if no one else would, then by golly, I could. Furious, I went to her house. We got in an absolute, screaming, cussing, finger pointing shouting match. She told me I was never again welcome in her home, I told her to stay the f*** out of my life, my wedding, and if she held my kids, it would be over my dead body.

Steven was furious. I was spanked. I had to apologize. And, then, as he knew they would, everyone but me made up.

That afternoon, in the hospital, D was taken down for a test. I was there, and so was Steven's father. While she was downstairs, he proceeded to inform me that I had no decency if I didn't cancel the wedding. I mentioned that my mother had already paid for my dress, the venue, the cake, the bouquet, half of Steven's suit, the food...everything, and we would lose all that if we backed out now. He told me he didn't care how much money Mom had spent. That I had forced Steven into marrying me, against the family's better judgment, that we couldn't even afford tags for the car(which wasn't true, and I mentioned), that it was senseless and stupid for us to get married. He said my mom was manipulative, and if it weren't for us, D would never had had the stroke. Nevermind that she's already had open heart, a previous stroke, is overweight, and has uncontrolled diabetes. None of that had anything to do with it. It was Mom and me. I was hurt, I was furious. I found out he'd been telling Steven not to do it for a while. Of course, the family stood behind that. His other aunt and uncle, his mother, everyone.

She ended up making it to the wedding. But, those interactions have tainted every interaction that I have had with them since. I loathe his father. Completely and totally.

He would come to Steven's softball games, see me, and sit as far as possible from me on the bleachers, not making eye contact, not saying hi. The other wives asked me all the time, "Isn't that Steven's dad? Why isn't he sitting with you? Are you guys fighting?" And I'd lie.

And, his aunt? The one I had a little screaming match with? Thanksgiving is usually at her house. I've gone for years. But, she insists she's not eating with "D's daughter-in-law." Steven, of course, is caught in the middle. I have to work that night anyway, I think I just don't even want to go to a Thanksgiving--certainly not one where I'm so blatantly not welcome. During the wedding, my entire guest list came to me and asked if there was an issue with his family, since none of them would hardly "speak to the outsiders." I spent a lot of time covering for them.

He's out with his family today. I'm at home. Technically, I was invited to lunch; but, really who wants to go when you know how you'll feel the whole time? I begged off with a headache. But, now, I'm sitting at home, lonely and heart heavy. And, this is only the first year of our marriage...if this is our starting point, where the heck do we have to go from here?

8 comments:

  1. O Hon I'm so sorry. I totally understand. My inlaws minus my father in law didn't really like me for a while either. I still stayed my sweet self and was always nice to them. We lived miles away however when we went to visit it was awful. My boys were always sick then all the talking about me and oo it hurt bad. I just stayed nice and pleasant and as years went on they became nicer.. Tylers brother got married to a hateful witch and that was when they realized and apologized for how they treated me and how lucky they were to have me. Tyler would never put up with it. I don't know you have a long rode but just kill it with kindness and pray that Steven steps in and hopefully he wont put up with them treating you that way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Grace, that's awful. The only thing you can do is trust that Steven will do the right thing by you. He married you and that makes you priority one. Things may change when you have children... If not..... Have you thought of moving out of state? ;)

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you guys got off to such a rough start. Tension with the in-laws sucks big time.

    Don't give up hope though. Steve's parents (mainly his dad) did not approve of our marriage and caused a lot of problems the first couple years. At one point, I cut off all contact with them because they were stressing me out so bad. Steve still talked to them and would take our daughter to visit, but I avoided them like the plague. Eventually we were able to work out a truce for the sake of Steve and our daughter. I doubt we'll ever be friends but once they realized that I'm here to stay, they did back off some, especially once Steve realized what a strain they were putting on our marriage and started speaking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I pray your husband steps up! He has basically left you out and alone, and did not TELL his family, you are the woman he is marrying and they must include and respect you or not include him in their plans. End story. And while you were there for many of the moments with his mom, that family cannot recognize it or they must accept that they failed her. Prayers for you; for your husband to get a backbone and arms to protect you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace,
    This is my first comment but I think I've read just about your whole blog! You have a heart of gold, girl! You not only apologized, but also continued to care for his Mom! I'm just curious, what does she have to say about all this? How is your relationship with her? I have to agree with the ladies above, Steven should stand by his wife, best friend, love of his life. At the end of the day, you will always have each other. In marriage you became one - he is your other half and they must realize it's both of you or nothing. I'm sorry if this all sounds cliche, but it's serious stuff! This will affect the two of you for the rest of your lives. If you ask me, it's their loss not having a relationship with you. If they truly love Steven, they will accept and forgive you. You've done what you can. Steven should let them know they are hurting him in the process, not just you. I wish you the best.
    Huneybee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Sadly I know how you feel. All I can do is offer advice from someone who has been there and continues to live it. You are Steven's family now and they are extended family. Hope you both embrace that and find solice and love in each other. If you two choose you can and will get through this and come out stronger for it. Use your blog to vent and get it out, that does help.
    Sending lots of love and strength to you. I know how hard it is, be strong, it will pass (or at least not be quite as bad) in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everybody---sorry it's taken me so long to get back!! It's been a crazy couple of weeks! The good news is? The man stepped up. He talked to his family, and everything has--for the most part, anyway--been sorted to the best of his ability. :) As always, I just can't tell you guys how much your support and encouragement and even indignation on my behalf means to me. :) Ya'll are great.

    And, yes, I'm from the South where "Ya'll" is a perfectly accepted term. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started reading your blog but I swear it's like I am reading about myself when SM and I got married. We are almost 20 years in, but our beginnings are so similar to yours! The age, beginning with DD, and problems with his side of the family! I will mention that things did get better. It took 5 years and the pitter patter of little feet to do it but we did grow to love each other (his family and I.) Looking forward to reading more of your story!

    sara

    ReplyDelete