I, as some of you may know, have three "dads". My biological, my first step-dad(who raised me), and my current step-dad. And, I know it's a little late, but, for Father's Day, Stephen and I are going to do a Father's Day cookout at our house. To help me prepare, my saint of a mother came over Wednesday night to help me clean. All day that day, I'd worked on the house, but slowly...there was a slight catch in my back every time I straightened or moved too quickly.
By the next morning, I could barely walk, couldn't get myself dressed, or on or off the toilet by myself. Everything, even rolling over in bed, was excruciating. By 6:45 in the morning, I caved and called my mom again, asking her what to do. In typical, my mother fashion--she was at my house with ice packs within thirty minutes, and she'd already started making calls to the various chiropractors in the area. She was convinced my "back was out." And, in a manner of speaking, it is.

Really, though, in what my doctor says is a common situation for pregnant women, my expanding pelvis is weakening and is pressing on my sciatic nerve and my back also refuses to stay anywhere near in alignment. He insisted that I not work, at least for this week, and go down to 8 or 10 hour days when I return to work. As it stands, I'm not able to sit for long, stand for long, lay on my back for an extended period of time, I have to ice it regularly, and, though I'm much improved, I still have to go back every two days or so for the next week and have help getting around. My mother has been a god-send, while Stephen works long 12 hour days. She has helped me dress, fed me, helped me clean my house, played chauffeur, as I can't drive, and just in general been an absolute miracle. Even now, she and my step-dad are outside, mowing our grass.

Really, I don't know what we'd do without them! But, it's about time for another ice pack, so I'll update again later...hopefully with "hey, as I start the second trimester, all the difficulties of pregnancy have mysteriously vanished!" :P
I hope you all are doing well, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments. :)
Hi Grace,
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear you are having so much difficulty. I was on bed rest for 4 months with my first baby and 5 months with my second. Then the doctors got wise and took out all my fun girl parts so I wouldn't have anymore kids. :0) My parents stepped right in and took over, couldn't believe how much they took on to get their grand babies cooked all the way and out in their arms.
I am hoping you get through this first trimester and have a wonderfully easy second and third!! Stay off your feet and follow the doctors orders and let everyone help you, it is ALL worth it in the end when your bundle of joy is in your arms for the first time. Plus these are the stories you pull out when they are teenagers and you want to make them feel guilty!! (Um, yeah I totally use my pregnancy war stories with my son!! If it doesn't gross him out it at least makes him stop and think for a few seconds.) :0)
Hugs,
Irish Lucky
Hey sweet Grace...sorry you are having such a rough time but so very happy you have your lovely mom close by. You are so blessed. Thanks for checking in...take care of yourself. Sending lots of prayers and healing energy your way.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings...
Cat
Hugs to you and positive thoughts that thing improve drastically.
ReplyDeleteGrace, just like the weather, the pregnancy stages change all the time. Can I just tell you how absolutely jealous I am of you. My mother was never around and still isn't a part of my children's lives. I suffered through the sciatica and boy does that stink. I cannot remember the pain of childbirth but my leg aches whenever I think about the sciatica. So sorry. Know that I am only an email away if you ever want to complain, ask questions, or want some reassurance. You are doing great. But I am still jealous.
ReplyDeleteSorry you are suffering, Grace. I know you'll consider it all worth it when the baby is in your arms. You are very lucky to have such caring parental units!
ReplyDelete