Monday, January 13, 2014

Utter Panic

I know this is going to seem ridiculous, something crazy to be so upset about that I feel the need to "get it off my chest"...but, I don't remember the last time my heart was squeezed so tightly in my throat, or panic sat so deeply in my belly.

I was on the phone with Steven this afternoon as I pulled into our driveway. He was at work, and I was happily chattering away on his lunch break. I opened our door and, as always, went straight to let the dogs out. All three bounded past, and I never even looked in the room; instead, I followed them to the front door and swung it open. When they stepped out into the better light, I noticed a sort of sticky looking residue on Kiesar, my Doberman, and Diesel, Steven's Boxer. I squinted.

"Steven, I think the dogs peed and laid in it or something," I groused, moving back to check their room to see the extent of the damage. When I slid open their door again and stepped inside, I nearly vomited. Blood was sprayed all up the four white walls, staining thick ropes and splatters and droplets crimson. It soaked their sleepy-time blanket, and great red drops of it covered the floor. "Oh, my...oh, oh, oh..." I know Steven must have been frustrated, listening to my voice rise in panic, and me, hardly able to enunciate what I was seeing. When I finally stammered it out to him, I ran back to the front yard, just in time to see Ki limping up the steps and blood dripping down the white patch on Diesel's chest.

I don't know what set them off. I've never before even seen these two buddies shoot each other a dirty look...and here they are...both laying beside me, licking deep puncture wounds all over each others' bodies--bites that they caused. There's a certain hesitancy there, on both parts, though more on Ki's than Diesel's, but they seem to be improving. Still, it terrifies me to see the chunk torn out of my Dobie's ear and the huge punctures all over their heads, faces, ears, chests, legs....

I feel so stunned and scared and sickened.

And, I still can't get the blood off the walls.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Terrifying...I was utterly horrified. And, then, incensed, lol, because Steven's boss said a dog fight wasn't a family emergency. If I wouldn't have been murdered for it, I would have called and informed him that our dogs ARE our family.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh that is horrible. Perhaps it might not have been the dogs wanting to go at each other but another fear that set them off - a strange sound or something? Sending some positive vibes ava x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're thinking now that it was a dog in heat down the street. They're two hot-blooded males(apparently. I'd never have thought them hot-blooded before...except for when they're up on the bed with me!), and they now have date to get snipped. Thanks for the vibes, we needed 'em!

      Delete
  3. Aww so sorry to hear this. How frightening! I don't think I would leave them in the same room while you guys are gone until you know they are going to be okay together. As for the walls, try peroxide. It bubbles up on blood and helps break it down. If that doesn't help you might just want to repaint them. So sorry honey. Hugs to you.

    sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Peroxide was a LIFE-SAVER. I SO appreciate the tip!! And, no, even though they've been fine with one another for a while, we still haven't left them alone together. I just can't stomach it.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, how very scary! I had to clean blood up and I used watered down peroxide in a spray bottle and it for the most part worked. But mine was from a bloody nose and not from this kind of scary thing... So sorry. Hope your doggies can find a way past what ever happen.

    Lots of positive thoughts coming your way!
    Irish Lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the positive thoughts!! Like I told Ava Grace, we needed all we could get! They seem to be doing much better with each other now. All back to snuggles and sharing...crazy boys. But I'm certainly glad of it!! I don't know what we'd do if our boys didn't get over their tiff..

      Delete
  5. That's is awful. It's so scary anytime one of our pets is hurt. I'm sorry you had to see that. I hope it's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We're all doing much better now! They're mostly healed up(I'm telling ya, Bactine and Bayers. Way. To. Go.), and their Momma is calmed considerably. Steven was never worked up in the first place, lol.

      Delete
  6. When I got my cats back from the vet, they apparently had the smell of fear on them. For some time, I had to keep them separated, because they would growl, hiss, and attack each other. Maybe something caused them to let out a smell of fight or flight, and that is what brought on the encounter, only causing those smells to get greater???????????? Hope all is soon well. God bless you and all you love, including your puppies. -Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Belle. :) I'm sorry about your cats!! How long did it take for them to get over it?

      Delete