Friday, June 14, 2013

That Was Six!

"Alright. Does that all make sense?"

"Yes, Pastor--it's pretty much a walk down the isle, repeat after me thing. Got it." I nodded vigorously, trying to hide my nerves behind the make-up and curls.

"And, don't forget--we don't want hoots and hollers or anything, but hold the kiss long enough that our photographers can get some good pictures."

"Oh...how long is that? Like, I could use some direction. Can you give me a number to count to?"

"Oh, ok...uhm, how about five?"

"Five." Another vigorous nod. "Like...1, 2, 3 kind of five? Or 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi?"

The pastor looked utterly confused, but then smiled off my oddness.

"One, two, three will be fine," he assured me. "Don't worry. You make a beautiful bride."

"Thank you--uhm, you're gonna tell Steven, too, right? You'll tell him it's five?" After a promise to do just that, he made his way out of my tiny dressing room and down the hall to where my fiancé waited. Dad took my arm.

"I'm so proud of you. He's going to love it...but, remember--don't lock your knees; seen way too many people drop like a horse at the altar from locking their knees." I barely had time to roll my eyes before the bridal march started, and the doors swung open.

Steven stood at the end of that isle, seeming so very far away and so very dashing in his suit, my bright yellow themed flowers pinned to his chest.

I met him at the end, our close family and a few friends looking on. After a hurried whisper, insuring he had in fact been told '5', we said our vows.

He said "I do,", and I did, too.

And, they announced my new name, and told Steven he could kiss me--like he's ever needed permission. :)

"That was six!" I yelped as I pulled away--my first words as a married woman.

Romantic, huh? :)


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, may you have a long and happy marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! May you always feel the love you feel today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Congratulations! At least you have a funny memory of the wedding ceremony. You have to have at least one :)

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, cute! Yes, no worries that you are going to lose your feisty nature. :) Congratulations to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least this will be a memory you can always find funny. Remember to tell your daughter that when she gets married. It is soooo stressful and that will make her laugh a little before she walks down the aisle.
    Congratulations - May you love lead you through a lifetime of beautiful memories

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well,Mrs,Congratulations! I think a six second kiss should be a rule. Nothing shorter. ;)

    ReplyDelete