Friday, May 9, 2014

Our Miracle

I've lost count of the times I've sat down to write this post...we're just so blown away, I haven't even known how to put what's happened into words. 

Many years ago, when Steven was just a child, he was diagnosed with cancer. He fought a hard battle, and with the aid of chemo and God, he won. His mom told me not long after we became serious that the doctors told them he probably would never have kids.

  With that in mind, there was very little protection when we slept together. At first, we were sort of mindful of when my periods were, but we never REALLY paid attention. And, then, a year ago, I went to see my GYN for a check-up. After asking a series of rather personal questions(I guess that comes with the job description), he told me "not to waste our money on birth control. Between you and him, you will never get pregnant."

  Fast forward. We quit even thinking about kids. Instead, we planned for adoption when I finished my nursing school. Everything perfectly planned out, right in a pretty, perfect order. Married? Check. House? Check. School? Working on it. Full-time jobs? Got 'em. Debt? Slowly but surely cutting it down.

Then, I started getting fatter. No matter what I did, I couldn't lose weight. I ate better. I exercised. I gained, or, at the very least, was unable to lose. I became exhausted. I'd be up for a couple of hours, and then so tired I thought I'd just die if I didn't get some sleep. I was hungry, always, always hungry.

People at work started teasing me about being pregnant. To prove them wrong, I took a test.

Positive.

Four more.

Positive, all.

A doctor's visit, complete with blood work.

Also positive.

I'm pregnant.

And floored.

And ecstatic.

And stunned.

And going back on the 19th for an ultrasound.

We're blessed.

Just wanted to share. 

30 comments:

  1. Hooray, Grace. Congratulations!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very happy for you - congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I'm so happy for the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Congratulations Grace and Steven! Not planned but very much wanted! That's how both of mine were.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. What absolutely awesome news, Grace! Congratulations to both of you!! Your lives will never be the same now... they will be filled with many blessings and lack of sleep! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We're looking forward to every part of it; such a wonderful surprise for us!

      Delete
  6. Amazing!! That gave me chills!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowsah!! How stunningly exciting! Happy gor you both,dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!! Congratulations Grace! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations. My husband and I were both on fertility medicine begging God for a baby many, many years ago. He blessed us 30 years ago with our daughter. I'm very happy for you. May God continue to bless you throughout your pregnancy and with a healthy beautiful baby. What a wonderful Mother's Day post! -Belle L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you!! I love hearing these stories--God blows my mind sometimes. I've had so many different responses; sometimes, I'm so happy, I just sit down and cry lol.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations Grace! My sister and her husband were told they would never have children also, but last year they welcomed their fourth child into the world! If its meant to be, it will be....even when it defies all medical knowledge :) So very happy for you!
    ~sugar~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have chills. Thank you for sharing your story and your great news. And a Happy Mother's Day to you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to share...honestly, we kind of want to shout it from the rooftops, lol. :) So terribly excited! Thanks!! :)

      Delete
  12. wow woo what amazing news congratulations xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Congratulations!! Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE how God works in 'impossible' situations!! My situation wasn't quite as impossible as yours, but still, the Lord overcame the issues and we were just as stunned - and blessed - as you are.
    I'm so very happy for you both! Congratulations!!
    hugs!
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that you got your blessing, too!! :) Thanks!

      Delete
  15. Thank you for sharing. Excellent news.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! You are so blessed! Wishing you an easy and fun pregnancy and a healthy bundle of joy! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete